BIG NEWS!

we'rehavingababy

As many of our close friends and family know it’s been a long and difficult year, but we can finally announce with happy hearts that we are expecting a baby, September 18th, 2010!

This journey to parenthood has not been easy so far. We had our first pregnancy this past summer, the baby originally was due in april. When it ended unexpectedly, I have never experienced that amount of pain and heartbreak.

But now, our hearts are full again with the prospect of our new baby!

I would like to take a moment to thank some very patient and loving people who have helped us get to this point.

My mother, who flew down from El Paso to spend the whole week with me after the news, and during my D&C. Not to mention who had to listen to my endless phone calls and emotional rants in the months after.

My mother-in-law, who also spent the day in the hospital with me and Jared, and who also had to witness way too many emotional breakdowns, particularly over the holidays.

My sister, Kelly who has been pregnant this whole time and yet managed to be the most sensitive person ever, and never once flaunted her pregnancy. At times i would have to force her to bring the subject up, because she wouldn’t want to upset me. When, we all first found out that her baby, my baby, and my brother’s baby would all be born within the same month we thought “this is going to be SO much fun!”. (Note: being pregnant at the same time as your closest girls is only fun when no one loses their baby. Then it become un-fun VERY quickly.)

My funny friend, Allison who not only showed up with a “Bucket of Happiness” the day of the bad news, but has happily distracted me and encouraged me the first few weeks of this pregnancy when I was convinced it was going to end at any second.

My friend, Molly (who many of you know from second-shooting your weddings) who tolerated many emotional breakdowns to and from weddings and always said “If you need to step out at any time, just go for it, I’ll take over!”

And to my Fall brides & grooms (who, if I did my job right, never knew any of this was going on). I can’t believe how amazing my couples have been this fall. Their weddings were a pleasure and there was no stress whatsoever. I especially wish to thank my Sept. 18 & 19 weddings. That double-wedding weekend occurred just 24 hours within hearing the bad news from the world’s worst ultrasound. I don’t think I could have pulled that weekend off if those couples and their families hadn’t been so amazing. (And again, they didn’t even know! That’s just how they are normally: kind, stress-free, and gracious!)

And now I need to apologize to a few “people”. One being God, who I would occasionally name-call on particularly hormonal days. (Sorry, man. We’re cool now, right?) And the other two are my baby-neices due in May, Reese and Carson who I am ashamed to say I basically pretended didn’t exist for several months there. Aunt Katie is getting her act together just in time though. No worries, girls.

Though this time has been awful. I’ve always believed that God is good, and his plan is way better than mine. And here are some great things that have come out of this:

1. My husband and I are closer than ever. He rocks. I love him. And he’s super hot.

2. I’m humbled by our creator. I though I could plan my entire life. I thought I was in control. Boy, was I wrong. I’ve had to learn to trust him. His will. His timing.

3. I will NEVER take this baby for granted. Mark my words. I don’t care if I am sleep-deprived, getting up in the middle of the night for feedings, dealing with terrible twos, getting yelled at during the rebellious teen years. I’m ready for it all. This baby has NO idea how badly I want them, and how much I already love them!

If you’re dealing with a miscarriage, and need someone to talk to, shoot me an email. I’m NO expert by any means, but I’m a great listener, and would love to hear your story.

Thanks for listening, and please pray that the next 30 weeks go smoothly. Our baby has a heartbeat, which mean the risk of miscarriage goes down from 25% to 2%. Here’s hoping that this pregnancy will end in a baby!

Comments

comments

17 comments

Your email is never published or shared.

• Jessica YoungFebruary 23, 2010 - 7:23 pm

Congratulations Katie! I’m sending you a big hug, even if we haven’t officially met yet 🙂 I’ll be praying for you, your husband, and your new baby! I’ll see you in a few weeks!

• KelleyFebruary 23, 2010 - 7:24 pm

Congratulations! I have to tell you, I’m a huge admirer of your work, but even more so your heart! My husband and I have had our share of issues with fertility, it is unfathomably difficult to be in those shoes. How GREAT is our Father’s love for us, though that He blesses us with these beautiful tiny people! I just said a little prayer for your family. Enjoy the journey!!

• Yelena BosovikFebruary 23, 2010 - 7:35 pm

That is so exciting! I am very happy for you! I do like those photos above of how you guys announced it! so adorable! you’re in my prayers! I can’t wait to meet this baby of yours! 🙂 congrats! 🙂

• AllisonFebruary 23, 2010 - 7:43 pm

First of all, could you guys BE any more adorable in your pictures? Baby Bear has a super hot Mama and Papa, I can only imagine the hottie he or she will be!

Secondly, YAYYYY!!!!! God is so faithful and I can’t wait to meet my sweet little niecephew nugget!

• LaineeFebruary 23, 2010 - 7:48 pm

Congrats Katie!!!!! I’m so so so excited for you two!!

• Katie KandagorFebruary 23, 2010 - 8:07 pm

Hi Katie,

I know we don’t know each other well, but I couldn’t help but read this when I saw it posted on facebook. First of all, congratulations!!! Second of all, I’m pregnant too, so it’s fun to know someone else who is 🙂 (I’m due July 17). Lastly, this post really moved me. I was so touched by your story…who knows why you went through it, but perhaps that in itself is why. It touched me, and I feel like I am better now knowing what you went through and how you grew. I can totally relate to being nervous about the viability for the first while…I was, too. I think that is natural, even if you haven’t had a miscarriage.

Praise our God, who is faithful and loving and fulfills the desires of our hearts. I’m happy for you! 🙂

• BaileyFebruary 23, 2010 - 8:11 pm

Katie, you’re right, we had no idea! With that said, I’m glad to hear that somehow my family aided in your ability to make it through such a tough time in your life. My mother and father had a miscarriage and were told they could not conceive. Finally after about six or so years worth of praying for a child, fertility testing, etc. they ended up with me and about 18 months later my brother, Jake. I am so happy for you and your husband and just told one of my friends (before I read this blog) that your baby would have the coolest parents ever. I know you will be the greatest mom and an even stronger mom for going through what you have gone through!

• Carol WalkerFebruary 23, 2010 - 9:51 pm

You are so precious! Thanks so much for sharing your sweet heart!! Congratulations too! I just found out that I am going to be a grandma in October!

• kdpFebruary 23, 2010 - 11:28 pm

Oh goodness. Thank you all for your love. I’ve already received a ton of emails about people’s experiences with miscarriage, and every new story brings me to tears. One because they’re sad/moving, but two because everyone ended up with some type of personal victory. You are all amazing.

• SamFebruary 24, 2010 - 8:23 am

I’m publicly calling it… BOY!

• BreanneFebruary 24, 2010 - 10:49 am

Katie…you are such an amazing woman! This made me cry to hear your story and triumph, truly amazing! I have no doubt that God is going to bless you two with a healthy and wonderful baby! You know you have my prayers!! I can not wait to meet little baby Day!! 🙂

• Cara GreningerFebruary 24, 2010 - 11:32 am

Oh, Katie!! Congrats!! 🙂 Your baby will have the best photographs taken documenting his/her entire life!!

And, thanks for sharing your miscarriage story. 🙁 Sorry you had to experience that, but thanks for being so open. It is so encouraging to see your faith in God through it all. Really moving.

• AliceFebruary 26, 2010 - 4:57 pm

I love you katy. You are an incredible woman, and God has blessed you with an amazing husband and family.

• AliceFebruary 26, 2010 - 4:58 pm

p.s. the look on Jared’s face in the last pic could make me cry.

• Brooke DizmangMarch 19, 2010 - 1:01 pm

Hi, Katie. I’m in LOVE with your work and your site. And I love your baby blog, too. And you’re right about not being in control anymore! It’s a fact of motherhood, but totally worth it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Brooke

• Cassie CrowMarch 30, 2010 - 10:56 am

I’m so happy for you that I wrote you a song (To the tune of “La Guitarra”):
    El Bebe

El Bebe, El Babe
    Te veo en el vientre
    El Bebe, El Babe
    Quiero mantenerlo

Now if the translator I used is correct (google), it means this:
    The Baby

The Baby, The Baby
    I see you in the belly
    The Baby, The Baby
    I want to hold it!

Congratulations!

• TabithaMarch 31, 2010 - 10:56 pm

@Katie> you are an amazing person and I know after seeing you with my son today that you will rock as a mom..Yes there will be moments when all you want to do is close your eyes and sleep just for a couple hours and your baby has different ideas..but believe me when you hear that first laugh it makes everything so worth it..even the first smile warms your heart, your baby could do no wrong in your eyes in these moments..I am very excited for you even though I just met you! I can’t wait to find out what you’re having and I’m sure he/she will be beautiful!! Take care 🙂 can’t wait to see our pictures..thank you again for everything..Blake and I have gone through some hard times and I am glad we will have pictures to remind us that the only thing that matters is our family because that is where we are the happiest 🙂 <3 Tabitha (Blake and Reese too)