I went hoping to help, but I honestly think I was ‘helped’ instead.
Conclusions after going:
1. I actually CAN live without Callie and Jared. I used to think if something were to happen to them, I would just die. Like I could not go on. I became OBSESSED quickly. I know now that my life can’t be 100% about them…and It’s not, now. (there’s nothing wrong with being in love with your family, but it’s not good to find 100% of your own identity in them, ya know?)
2. There is no rule that you have to live in a X square footage house. That you need one room per kid. That you have to make $XX,XXX per year. This is all American crap that we think is true. These Haitians live in 10ft by 10ft tents with like 13 people in them. And get this….they’re….HAPPY…like they don’t know what they’re missing!!!!
3. Callie has too many toys. These kids played for HOURS a game we made up by drawing a LINE IN THE DIRT. Literally.
4. We have a PERSONAL God. Like one who really does know us INDIVIDUALLY from the masses. Like things that YOU say day-to-day make him laugh. Like when he created the color turquoise back in the day, he said “Man, Katie Day is going to LOVE this color someday.” (I have a HUGE explanation for this that borders on supernatural, so I’ll save it for now)
5. God enjoys seeing us happy. We’re not meant to be full of guilt all the time. Yes! We are meant to do good things and help people. But not out of guilt or in attempt to earn his love. We should be HAPPY givers. We are not required to do anything! But wouldn’t it be cool if you just WANTED to do stuff because you know how blessed you are and want to pour that out on others! How cool!!!
In keeping with the giving theme. I have a challenge for all of you! Yes , YOU, reader! Mission of Hope has hundreds of kids that need sponsors. You can provide their schooling, meals, and clothes for get this….$35/month! That’s less than that stupid pair of jeans you just bought. Yeah, YOU digging into that Panera sandwich, that’s like 1/3 of the way there this month!
So let’s do this, Guys! Supposedly there are around 1000 people reading this thing (according to google analytics, though i’d never know b/c you’re all silent creepers) so what if just 10% of you did this? That’d bee 100 KIDS that have food, education, and CLOTHES! (There are a LOT of naked butts in Haiti, friends!!!)
To sweeten the pot! If you go to the link below and choose your kid to sponsor. Comment below with your name and the name of the kid you’re sponsoring and their favorite activity. And I will draw a name for a…..
WITH disc of images to be redeemed in the kc or springfield area. You can use it or give it to a friend as a gift!
Here’s the link right here!
And now for more photos….
This is the Mission’s 500 homes in 2 years project. We painted these houses all week. They’re pretty small by our standards, but there’d be about 10-15 people living in these puppies.this is where they go to the bathroom. tell me you don’t want to open an investment savings account in this bank.this is the Mission of Hope where we stayed all week.Don’t forget to take your malaria pill!And tuck in your mosquito net before bed!!
And I believe in leading by example, so meet Dooty Jocelyn. Loves playing with dolls and singing, and wants to be a nurse when she grows up. : ) (and yes! I mainly picker her because her name is Dooty!) She’s precious!!! Here’s the link one more time and don’t forget to comment below for the chance to win a free photoshoot!!! Tell your friends!!